The files that comprise a virtual machine include:
- .XML files
- These files contain the virtual machine configuration details. There is one of these for each virtual machine and each snapshot of a virtual machine. They are always named with theGUID used to internally identify the virtual machine or snapshot in question.
- .BIN files
- This file contains the memory of a virtual machine or snapshot that is in a saved state.
- .VSV files
- This file contains the saved state from the devices associated with the virtual machine.
- .VHD files
- These are the virtual hard disk files for the virtual machine
- .AVHD files
- These are the differencing disk files used for virtual machine snapshots